* Reduce to as few as five members the Pacifica Board of Directors (currently 19).
* Allow hired Pacifica executives to be members of the board.
* Allow key decisions to be made by as few as three board members.
* Permit the sale of Pacifica assets (i.e. stations like KPFA and WBAI, estimated to be worth at least $250 million to commercial broadcasters) by a vote of the executive committee only, as long as the sale did not include "all or substantially all of theassets or or property of the Foundation."
* Allow directors (such as Murdock, a partner in the law firm of Epstein, Becker and Green, currently handling many legal matters for Pacifica) "to receive reasonable compensation for services...in a professional capacity."
* Reduce meeting notice time to as little as 24 hours, and meeting notice to consist of as little as a message on an answering machine.
* Allow the national Pacifica board to appoint 1/3 of local advisory boards, and ban membership on such boards of staff and volunteers.
* Ban elected local advisory board members (as at KPFA) from serving
on the national board.
IF THESE BY-LAWS, OR ANYTHING LIKE THEM, ARE PASSED, PACIFICA RADIO AS A FREE SPEECH, COMMUNITY-BASED INSTITUTION WILL BE DEFINITIVELY DESTROYED!
You help is urgently needed in defeating these by-laws.
Please do the following:
1) Telephone Epstein, Becker, and Green if you object to the money you've donated to Pacifica being used to further the destruction of the organization. (Ask to discuss this with John Murdock or any partner in the law firm!)
In San Francisco: (415) 398-3500
In Washington, D.C. (202) 851-0900
In New York (212) 297-5600
In Los Angeles (310) 398-3500
2) There is a public comment period on these by-laws which ends February
8. Murdock has said that comments will be accepted only from board members.
There are six board members who can be trusted to oppose these by-laws.
PLEASE WRITE TO THEM TODAY at whatever length you choose so that they may collect opposing comments!
Tomas Moran <email@example.com>,
Pete Bramson <firstname.lastname@example.org>,
Leslie Cagan <LeslieCagan@igc.org>,
Beth Lyons <BethLyons@aol.com>,
Rob Robinson <email@example.com>,
Aaron Kriegel <HARAV1@aol.com>
3) Make a donation IMMEDIATELY to our legal defense fund, as we explore
our options in opposing Pacifica's latest,
and ultimate, power grab! Either send a check to:
Siegel and Yee Trust/Pacifica Account
499 14th St. #200
Oakland, CA 94612
For tax deductible donations:
Free Pacifica Legal Action/Vanguard Foundation
333 Rhode Island #301
San Francisco, CA 94103
And please keep following our daily reports at