by Sarah A. Derks
The Commercial Appeal (Memphis, TN)
November 20, 1998

   University of Memphis security officers homed in on a "pirate" radio station broadcasting from a parking garage and knocked it off the air for the second time in three months.
   Officers arrested two women and a man Wednesday on suspicion of theft of services - using university electricity to power the unlicensed 20-watt FM station. They had not been charged as of late Thursday afternoon. Unlicensed operators also could be subject to federal fines and imprisonment.
   The station broadcast commercial-free, politically left music and news, sometimes live, sometimes taped, and could be heard roughly within a 3-mile radius of the campus.
   "Free Radio Memphis" was shut down in September by the Federal Communications Commission but was reborn Halloween night as "Black Cat Radio.''
   A flier circulating around campus says, "Soon after the murder of Free Radio Memphis, the severed soul of the station coalesced and built a new body as dark as the shadows from which it emerged. It is pure sound, a vibration rich in the dark thoughts of the evening, with a voice that refuses to speak in the blindingly obvious light of day.''
   Created by an organization called the Constructive Interference Collective, the station was broadcasting about four hours a night on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
   The seven-member collective is dedicated to legalizing microbroadcasting to "open the airwaves,'' said Kieran Crosswhite, a 34-year-old real estate agent-cum-disc jockey who hosted a midnight blues and poetry show on the station.
   "Pirate radio, micro radio is too big to be silenced,'' said Crosswhite, who said he is not a member of the collective.
   The startup station began broadcasting in May 1997 from a house on South Ellsworth but was shut down Sept. 23 when federal marshals and FCC officials confiscated the station's equipment.
   On Wednesday, Richard Lane, chief engineer of WKNO-FM 91.1 used a directional frequency locator and pinpointed the station's signal atop the parking garage on Deloach next to the Fogelman Executive Center, according to a U of M arrest report.
   The broadcast that day began at about 7 p.m. and was still airing at 8:48 p.m. when campus security was alerted.
   Officers found a brown 1988 Dodge Caravan parked on the otherwise empty garage top.
   Through the van's open rear hatch, officers saw the mobile radio station: a transmitter, antenna, coaxial cable and a meter that measures output to feedback.
   The equipment was powered by lines running from the van and plugged into one of the garage's electrical outlets.
   U of M security confiscated the equipment.
   About 250 unlicensed radio stations nationwide "pirate" radio frequencies to broadcast illegally, said Marvin Bensman, U of M professor of broadcast law.
   The FCC shuts down unlicensed stations, arguing their signals can interfere with licensed operations.
   "They're being held without being charged for a crime. They're what I would consider to be political prisoners,'' said Jonathan Cook, 27, a U of M graduate student who as "Irregular Jonathan" hosted a political show with commentary and international music.
   Whether the station is reborn again depends.
   "The first thing we've got to do," Crosswhite said, "is get these people out of jail.''

More Micro-Radio News