Jack O'Dell     Chair
Cecilia McCall  Vice-Chair and WBAI Board Representative
June Makela     Treasurer
Janis Hazel     Secretary

Peter Bramson      KPFA Board Representative (Altemate)
Roberta Brooks     At Large
Steve Edinger      KPFK Board Representative (Altemate)
Alexis Gonzales    KPFA Board Representative
Charlotte Holloman WPFW Board Representative
Ambrose Lane       WPFW Board Representative
Leonor Lizardo     KPFK Board Representative
Frank Millspaugh   WBAI Board Representative
Michael Palmer     KPFT Board Representative (Alternate)
Roger Scarborough  KPFT Board Representative


Pamela Burton   Acting General Manager KPFK - Archive Director
Gail Christian  Acting General Manager WPFW - National Programs
Director Garland Ganter  General Manager KPFT 
Marci  Lockwood    General Manager KPFA
Sandra Rosas       Acting General Manager KPFK - Controller
Pat Scott         Executive Director 
Mary Tilson  Station Relations Director -Minutes
Valerie Van Isler   General Manager WBAI

Jack O'Dell spoke briefly with the Board about Pacifica's mission to
develop in order to give voice to the disenfranchised.


MOTION: To seat alternate members Pete Bramson of KPFA and Steve
Ediger of  KPFK.
M/S/P Unanimous
Pat Scott introduced David Giovinnoni of Audience Research and David
Fenton of Fenton Associates.


Roberta Brooks is an at large member not "a large" member.

MOTION: To adopt the minutes as amended.  
M/S/P Unanimous

The agenda was changed so that David Giovannoni's presentation would
follow the Pacifica reports on programming.

MOTION: To adopt the agenda as amended.  M/S/P Unanimous


The Committee looked over station target audience and program plans. 
Overall, the network is making progress but there is still a long way
to go.

KPFK has not defined its target audience and there is no growth plan
in place.  Some schedule changes have been made in the last year. 

KPFK will not be able to meet new CPB criteria with their current
audience.  KPFA has developed two target audiences: 
They will target 35-50 year old 50% women/50% men with some college
education from 6AM-7PM and from 7PM on they will focus on the 25-35
age bracket.  They are planning to make big program change starting on
August 1. The staff decided on the programming itwanted then solicited 
proposals to fit the programming.  WBAI will target the 35-44 age group.  
Valerie hopes that the age range can be pushed up to age 54 with a 50%/50% 
gender split.  WBAI's programming will focus on international news.  
The staff will work on drive times.  WBAI's AQH will meet CPB guidelines.  
WPFWs target audience is 35-55 equally split between men and women with an
interest in jazz and blues.  The station's plan is to build audience
with jazz and blues, but will build public affairs and news into the
schedule.  KPFT's target audience is 40 years old equally split between men 
and women.  They will try to increase the amount of women listeners.  
Their programming is stripped.

WBAI hopes to have a cume of 200,000 soon and to double its current
audience by 1998.  The station had 2500 new subscribers in the last
drive.  WBAI's staff will do more executive producing in the coming
year.  KPFT is concerned about following a process.

Staff are educating volunteer programmers so that they can
understand the need for changes.  KPFA spent 9 months preparing the
staff for change, building a strong base from which make changes. 
The staff studied numbers and the competition and decided to
enhance what is already working by expanding the airtime of
programming which meets audience and mission criteria, and
reduce the number of separate programs and programmers. 

WPFW since March, 1994 has increased its weekly cume from
79,000 to 108,000. 

WPFW has enjoyed a 37% increase In audience, a 54% increase in
revenue, and pledge fulfillment is up by 15%. Gail Christian is
optimistic that this will continue.

The Committee emphasized that National and Local Boards must
publicly support these program changes.  If members are asked to
comment they must be positive about the change.

MOTION: That the Program Policy and Standards Committee report be
accepted. M/S/P Unanimous


The PD meeting was one of the most productive in years.  The group is
seriously looking at common carriage on fund drives which will allow
stations to share programs, premiums, and direct mail.  Stations and
National Programs will coproduce a national strip of programs that
might compete with talk shows on the right. Stations are planning on
doing more cooperative programming, they will share resources and
Pacifica will create a program development fund which will allow
production and distribution of locally produced programs.  Stations
and Pacifica will add to the fund.

Program Directors listed 10 ideas for potential national programs. 
These programs will be produced locally and distributed nationally. 
$200,000 is available to create a fund and there is about $20,000
remaining from the FY94 programming fund.  A staff committee will look 
at the proposals suggested.

The stations agreed to set aside fundraising days for National

Upcoming special program ideas include coverage of the anniversary of
the bombings of Hiroshima, the scheduled execution of Mumia Abu
Jamal, election countdown programming, and coverage of the
Democratic and Republican conventions among other ideas.

MOTION: To receive the program directors meeting report.  M/S/P


Paciflca has about 100,000 core listeners.  It has about 650,000 total
listeners.  At any given time, there are 23,000 people listening to
Pacifica stations.  Potential listeners number 40 million.

Pacifica stations need to:

1.      Build on current programming strength
2.      Realize efficiency of program production and distribution
3.      Combine programs with similar appeal not necessarily of
        similar genre.
4.     Forget about getting more listeners.

People listen to radio when they want to.  Radio stations have to be
there for listeners when the listener is ready.  Stations should not
build audience.  Instead they need to become a better program service
for the listeners who tune in now.

Pacifica has got to get people to tune in more.  It needs to be
accessible to the same type of person.  In order to be successful
stations have to tell most people that they are not for them.  Have to
be a single voice in each market.  People with more education are more 
likely to tune into Pacifica stations.

The social landscape is changing - communities are not defined by
regions, but by Interest.


Fenton Communications is a public relations firm whose specialty is
non-profits and socially responsible companies.  Fenton believes that
it is Pacifica's political responsibility to build a broader audience.
He will attempt to present the changes taking  place in a political
context.  He will develop written materials and speeches which will
help prepare managers before make changes. An action plan will
be created at the local and national level that will  include program
ideas that are highly promotable. 

David will go to California to deal with KPFA and then work with
KPFK once the plans become more solidified.  Pacifica needs to plan
who will designated at each site to speak to the press.

The National Board would like PR materials distributed to Local
Advisory Boards and the National Board.  Generally Station Mangers
need to be spokespersons.

The contract with Fenton will run from June until September or early


Pat Scott serves on the CPB task force.  Stations should prepare for
no money or little money by 1998.  Reductions will begin next year. 
The task force is looking at how the system can prepare for this
reality.  There is a conflict between CPB and the Presidents Task
Force on how to proceed.  The Issues facing public broadcasting are
the same that Pacifica is working on.  Any future funds that may exist
will have audience criteria attached to the funding.  Right now the task
force is considering a benchmark of 5000 Average Quarter Hour. 
The money will come directly to the licensee.  It is possible that CSG
and NPPAG will be eliminated in favor of one operating grant per
licensee.  The Task Force will send its recommendations to the
Public Radio community by the end of September.

The Presidents Task Force includes representatives of APTS, PRI,
NPR and PBS.  The numbers with cuts for the appropriations
committee will stay the same.  Membership organizations are pushing
further than what CPB recommended.  CPB is hoping to recieve 1998.
An auction of licenses in order to build a Public Broadcast trust
fund is under consideration.  The Congressional Black Caucus has not
spoken in support of Public Broadcasting.

MOTION: To receive the report. M/S/P Unanimous.


The Finance and Development Committees had a productive meeting.  The
tone was very different from the doom and gloom of the last meeting. 
The Committee was able to move from a position of 100% CSG cuts
and no commitment from SCA to stations to a recommendation that
stations cut their CSG's by 30%.  FY 96 budgets will reflect 70% of
CPB funds.

Some guests wished to attend the Finance Committee meeting.  The
Committee clarified that all Finance Committee meetings of Pacifica
are in Executive Session unless otherwise noted.  The Committee will
be expanded to include a representative from each station. 
Unit Managers attended the meeting as a group.  This worked
well and will be made standard practice.  Starting the budget process
in March and April will become standard practice.

The Central Service fee will be assessed at a uniform 13% for all
units.  Each unit will set aside 2 reserve funds.  In one 2% of total
gross salary will be budgeted so that the severance liability will be
paid off In 4 years.  It Is hoped that a pension plan can replace
severance.  The other reserve fund will be an equipment reserve
of 1% of total revenue or $10,000 (which ever Is higher) Both reserve
funds will be budgeted for the next fiscal year.

In general, Pacifica is not financially stable.  KPFK consistently
under budgeted around technical needs and infrastructure and as a
result will be given an SCA grant to upgrade the facility.  Current
improvements will cost $150,000.  KPFA is putting new programming
into place.  The station is foreseeing a loss In listener
support which may be made up in the second half of the fiscal year. 
WPFW Is optimistic that it can raise more money next year.  There
needs to be clarity on whether Julianne Malveaux is local or national.

WBAI has had a banner year and is projecting greater growth next year. 
The Committee is nervous about how long the station will be able to
sustain this growth.

All stations feel that their fundraising success and extra income is
based on the current political situation.  They are worried that this
may not last and that they may need to make adjustments.

If CPB funds Pacifica at more than 70% of current CSG's the excess
will be placed In a reserve fund.  The Finance Committee feels that
the prudent thing to do is to set money aside.  By and large the
committee thought that unit budgets are good and reasonable.


The SCA budget is still in draft form.  The Committee wants to move
away from station subsidies.  The SCA fund will be used for new ideas
and future growth.  Next year the fund will be at $870,000.  National
Programs will likely be subsidized at $179,000,

WBAI will not be funded for technical support.  WPFW and KPFT will
receive funds for a transmitter engineer. $15,000 will be set aside
for ISDN systems. $50,000 will be allocated for KPFK technical needs.

$60,000 will be set aside for WBAI for its Empire  lease - fulfilling the
original commitment to WBAI.  The Committee  will evaluate the
commitment to WBAI in 2 years. $27,000 of the  current program fund
will be rolled over into next year.  Anything  from the current fiscal year
will reduce station contributions to the fund in the next fiscal year.

The Committee wants to make allocations for development of the
Archive so that it can be a money making operation.  Another grant will
be made for other technology.  Pat will work with staff to make a
proposal to the Finance Committee.

Frank Millspaugh asked if the central service fee increase to 13%
could be eased over 2 years at 1.5% per year.  The Finance Committee
felt that the fee is equitable and will recommend the increase.

Valerie wants the reserve fund to be used In FY96 for the programming

The Committee will examine its meetings and separate what should be in
executive session and what can be open.  This will be defined in the
board booklet.  KPFK and WBAI are not represented on the Committee -
June will talk over committee rules with Jack and Mary and formalize

The Finance Committee recommended two policies for Immediate

1.      That it become Pacifica policy that confidential employees
        shall not be members of unions.  This will include business
        managers, bookkeepers, assistants to both, program
        directors, General Managers and management team
        members in general.  Of particular  concern are people
        dealing with confidential Information.  Any future negotiation
        on union contracts must be in line with this new Pacifica

2.      That the freeze on all hiring be lifted as of October 1, 1995. 
        Instead Units may make temporary hires of new staff.
        These staff will understand that their positions will last for
        a year or less.  Lateral transfers of current staff into new
        positions will be allowed.  Management positions will be
        excluded from this policy.  Temporary staff will be eligible
        for benefits.  This policy is in response to Paciflca's uncertain
        financial future and only has to do with its inability at this
        moment to make a long term commitment to new employees.

The freeze on hiring will stay in place until September 30, 1995.  The
Finance Committee will lift the freeze as of October 1, 1995 at which
point all new hires will be for no more than one year October 1, 1995
to September 30,1996.

MOTION: That these concepts be voted on separately.  M/S/F Yes 5 No 5
Abstain 3

MOTION: That both the above recommendations be adopted.  Yes 13
No 0 Abstain 0 M/S/P


The Committee discussed the importance of major gifts programs at
the stations.  Several stations have requested Dick Bunce's assistance 
in establishing major and planned gift programs.

The Committee proposed that all stations have an EFT system in place
before the winter fund drive.  KPFA will prepare a memo detailing how
to put EFT into place.  Dick Bunce will assure that this is done.  A
conference call will be set up with Dick Bunce,  June Makela, Pat Scott
and Roberta Brooks about Dick's visits to  stations to set up major gifts

At the last meeting the Board passed a policy that all local advisory
board members need to be subscribers to their station.  At WPFW only
one peron is not a donor, at WBAI most are donors, KPFA has two
board members not in compliance, KPFT has 100% compliance and
at KPFK most of the board contributes to the station.

National Board members were asked to send out their letters to solicit
for the Defense Campaign within 3 weeks.                              

Responding to Frank Millspaugh's memo - the issues of fundralsing on
the web will be sent to the Executive Committee for discussion.

MOTION: Each station must have an Electronic Funds Transfer system in
place before the winter, 1996 fund drive.  The National Office will
assure that stations receive preparatory information needed to put
this Into place.  M/S/P Unanimous


The KU satellite will be in place at all stations soon.  The KU uplink
Is at KPFA.  Downlinks will be in place everywhere else.  ISDN lines
will feed into KPFA for uplinking.  The plan implemented is the least
expensive interconnect option.  Money from the SCA will need to be
allocated for engineering uplink support at KPFA.  Valerie is concluding
negotiations with the landlord to install her KU at WBAI.  With the help
of KPFA, both ISDN and KU were put into place for $67,000.

Unit managers are discussing ways in which each station will
participate on the WEB.  The group will need to talk about revenue
streams taken from RDBS which will become standard on radios soon. 
All stations will be offered digital encoders which will have the effect
of boosting use of RDBS radio.

Managers have agreed to budget $2,000 each to pay a staff person to
manage the WEB - This will Include the cost of the WEB site and
maintenance for one year.  The group has no idea what long term costs
will be.

MOTION: That Pacifica create a Technical Committee.  M/S/P
Unanimous Mark Hanlon at the Archives will be working half time
on the WEB site.

Gail Christian and Pamela Burton will prepare a business plan for the
archive -


WPFW representative was chosen by secret ballot.  Ambrose Lane
received 12 votes Charlotte Holloman 2.  Charlotte was thanked for her
participation on two calls.


The board heard comments from interested parties.


The following motion was proposed.

MOTION: That the section of the Volunteer Programmers Rights and
Responsibilities dealing with advance notice of program changes be
suspended.  The current policy will require a minimum of one weeks
notice or notice at the managers discretion.  M/S/P - Yes 10 No 3 Abstain 0

The Committee reviewed the new Personnel Policy and made

The policy will be revised and completed by the Fall.

The National Board will associate itself, pending the advice of
Pacifica's attorney, with the NAACP position opposing the FCC award,
which will favor Fox Broadcast and effectively take away safety
mechanisms for minority ownership of stations.  The board 
wants to associate themselves with the NAACP position.


The board felt that the meeting was very constructive and forward
looking.  The Finance Committee is happy with their new meeting
process and the committee process is working better.  The Giovannoni
presentation provided information the board needed to make decisions. 

The Program Director and Management meetings really clicked -
everyone is working together and getting along pretty well. 
The group is happy about technical improvements and work on the

It was suggested that work time for committees to get together to
reconcile tabled items be scheduled.  Charlotte Holloman volunteered
to serve on the Finance Committee.  June Makela will check the
process and talk with Chadotte at a later date.


The October meeting will take place in Houston September 28th -
October 1. The winter meeting will be in Los Angeles around the
second week of February.  Scheduling issues around the NFCB
meeting (Feb. 16-20) and winter fund drives will need to be resolved. 

The Executive Committee will decide the final dates.

The meeting was adjourned.

Return to Document Archive Contents

Anatomy of a Heist
Audio Files
Legal Action